Best Banana Bread
Author: King Valley Dairy
Recipe type: Breakfast
Time of Year: Anytime
- • ½ cup a light vegetable oil
- • 3 ripe medium bananas
- • ¾ c buttermilk
- • ½ c light brown sugar
- • 2 large eggs
- • 1 tsp vanilla extract
- • 1½ c all-purpose flour
- • ½ tsp salt
- • 1½ tsp baking powder
- • ½ tsp baking soda
- • 1 cup walnuts
- Preheat oven to 180°C and place rack in middle. Lightly grease the bottom of a bread pan with some oil, using a brush or paper towel.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas until smooth. Mix in the buttermilk until completely blended.
- In another bowl, mix the brown sugar with the oil using an electric mixer at high speed. Scrape with spatula if needed. Add the eggs, one at a time, then the vanilla extract and continue beating until combined.
- In a third bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and walnuts.
- Add half the flour mixture to the butter mixtures, stir with a wooden spoon, then add half of the banana/ buttermilk mixture. Repeat with the other half. Stir from the bottom of the bowl up to mix thoroughly (but don’t over mix).
- Pour batter into the bread pan and bake for 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove the bread and allow to cool for another 10 minutes before slicing to avoid crumbling
Perfect served with a little stewed rhubarb and creme fraiche